Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rock music today




What can we as an audience look for in rock music in 2009?


I don't believe that there is a formula that describes rock music in the day of 2009. Music has created sub-genres that have influenced, changed and created new music, sounds and lyrics. Personally for me, I hear the music of the Foo Fighters and instantly think thankgoodness for them, if we as an audience were without them rock music would probably not exist. However, is this only because, my rock music tastes surround the likes of AC/DC and Led Zeppelin? Both of these bands produce a forceful, hard hitting sound, therefore are my music tastes producing my idea of a good rock group in 2009? Well yes, I believe they are. Musical bands such as Coldplay, who live, are one of the greatest I have ever seen, produce less forceful hard hitting music, however they are described as an "alternative rock group." Therefore, in 2009 I believe that the elements to rock music have intensely grown due to the formulation of sub-genres and new ideas. The leading singer/man Chris Martin once described Coldplay's music as "limestone rock."




The change in rock music is a tremendous and life-changing one. Sub-genres like punk, grunge, blues, and even as Martin describes as "limestone," have emulated and formed the comprimisation of rock music today. I truly wonder what rock music will be like in twenty to thirty years, will musicians be going back to the times of Elvis Presely and Bill Haley? Or will they formulate another new operation to what is rock music??

1 comment:

  1. I find that to be true as well. I wonder if in 20-30 years it will go back to more of a forceful hitting sound because if you look at our clothing, things always return and I wonder if that will be the same for rock music. I am hoping that it doesn't and stays the same with the sounds of Coldplay but we will just have to wait and find out.

    ReplyDelete